SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE

Main Article Content

Roslinda Ithnin MATSUBARA SHIZUO TERATANI SHOUSUKE

Abstract

Mathematics and science are part of our daily lives. They are also part of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education which is considered as one of the the key to fulfilling many of our future challenges. In 1970, Malaysia implemented the first National Science and Technology Registration Policy 60:40, which guarantees that 60 percent of Malaysian students will be enrolled in science with the remaining 40 percent in art. This paper discusses the rise of Malaysia's activities, including those conducted by the National STEM Movement of Malaysia. This movement is an integrated effort that gathers communities to promote STEM education that helps prepare students with the skills to meet science and technology challenges especially with the presence of the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). The Center for Science Studies, University of Malaya supports the STEM Movement. Although the acronym STEM is not a buzz word in the Japanese education system, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Japan (MEXT) awarded Super Science High School (SSHS) special funding to prioritize science, technology and mathematics. STEM education is in line with the activities conducted by ECoS, a Japanese-based collaborative research group that emphasizes on Sustainable Development and Green Chemistry.  This paper also discusses the science activities that is adopted from EcoS.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Article Details

How to Cite
ITHNIN, Roslinda; SHIZUO, MATSUBARA; SHOUSUKE, TERATANI. SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE. Jurnal Bahasa dan Budaya Jepun, [S.l.], v. 7, p. 50-65, dec. 2017. ISSN 2180-2076. Available at: <https://ejournal.um.edu.my/index.php/JBBJ/article/view/9565>. Date accessed: 21 sep. 2019.
Section
Articles