About the Journal
Jurnal Pengajian Media Malaysia, JPMM (Malaysian Journal of Media Studies) is a peer reviewed interdisciplinary journal in media and communication studies, published twice a year, Jun and December. Contributions of research articles, theoretical papers, concepts paper as well as article/ book reviews in media and communication studies and related fields are welcomed. The journal provides an intellectual venue for academics, postgraduate students and practitioners in the field of human services to debate on the various issues in the area of studies aforementioned. JPMM is published bi-annually. Special issues may be published for specific collections of works.
Authors can submit their manuscripts in either English or Malay language. JPMM is indexed in Google Scholar, Crossref web, the Malaysian Citation Centre and MyCite Citation Report. JPMM at jpmm.um.edu.my is licensed under a creative commons attribution 4.0 international license.
JPMM is published by the Department of Media and Communication Studies, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Malaya, Malaysia.
JPMM started in 1998 in physical copy with 1 issue annually. In 2010, JPMM began to publish biannual issues. The online/digital version was first published in 2012 for Volume 14 Issue 2 on trial basis. JPMM published both physical and online/digital copies of its publication for 3 issues from 2012 to 2013 (Vol. 14 issue 2, Vol. 15 issue 1, and Vol 15 issue 2). The full online/digital version of the publications began in 2014’s Volume 16 Issue 1. From herein, all publications are only available in online/digital versions. The past publications in physical version (1998 – 2013) are archived at the University of Malaya Library. The management of JPMM operation was restructured in 2017, with a consistent number and structure of publication. Beginning with the publication in 2017, JPMM has been set to publish biannual issues, with 6 articles in each issue.
Open access policy
JPMM is an open access journal. All content is freely available without charge to the users or their institution. Users may read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for other lawful purpose without obtaining prior permission from the publisher or the author.
The editors welcome research papers, essays and reviews either in English or Bahasa Melayu. The journal will only consider manuscripts not previously published or currently under consideration by another publication. By submitting a manuscript, the
authors agree to grant the exclusive right of publishing the article to the publisher when
it is accepted for publication.
Manuscripts for research paper should be confined to approximately 7000-8000 words; while book review approximately 3000-5000 words
Authors are required to fill in the exclusive right of publishing form here: JPMM Publishing Right Form
- Authors are expected to carefully proofread their work before submission.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced typed pages, Times new Roman, Font 12.
- Manuscripts for research paper should be confined to approximately 7000-8000 words; while book review approximately 3000-5000 words.
- All articles should be accompanied by an abstract of about 100 words and five keywords in English. Articles in Malay should include English versions of the Malay abstract, keywords and full title.
- Articles should be accompanied by a cover page with the paper title and author/s details (institutional affiliation, email address, postal address). Author name and other identification information must not appear anywhere else in the manuscript, except the cover page.
- Manuscripts should conform to relevant stylistic guidelines of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).